Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am replacing my drop-in cooktop and am in need of some…

Customer Question
I am replacing my...

I am replacing my drop-in cooktop and am in need of some guidance with the electrical hook ups. I have 2 wire (2 blacks w/bare ground) service and the cooktop has 3 wire (red/black/white/ground). How do these wires pair up?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

25yrs old. Service is aluminum.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Have not consulted an electrician

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am doing the work. Been doing remodel for 30 yrs but this situation is new to me. Just need to know which wire connects to which.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

hello!!

Existing 3 wire circuits can still be used. Connect the 4 wired as follows.

1. Connect the black and red wires to the 2 insulated house wires
  2. Connect both the white and green to the bare wire.

Having aluminum and copper wires connected you need to use a split bolt with a divider for the connections. The aluminum wire should be treated with a DeOx compound and the joint taped with friction tape and then with plastic electrical tape.

ok
does it make a difference which of the 2 black supplies the red and black are connected to?

No matter one for each.

is all this connections suppose to fit into 4x4 junction box?

Should have been a deep 4 11/16 box. You can put an extension box on to increase the capacity.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician