Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a complicated 3-way switch issue that I need to fix.

Customer Question

I have a complicated 3-way switch issue that I need to fix. I have four lights and four switches in two double gang boxes. Power seems to come into the box from one of the lights via both the red and black wires. The entire wire system had to be pulled when a tree sliced through the traveller wires to the second set of switches by the back door of our back porch. The circuit minus these four lights and their corresponding switches works fine but when I try to wire in these four lights I get either everything on without the switches working at all or one switch must be on for the rest to work. I have replaced the four sets of wires between the switches with brand new wire. Can you help?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sam I replied 11 months ago.

Hello, do I understand correctly that you have 2 switch locations? Each of these is a double gang box with 2 switches fora total of 2 separate 3-way switch circuits?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have two switch locations. Each has a double gang box but each switch has a total of 2 3-way switches. Double toggle style rather than the decora style but four switches total per box.
Expert:  Sam I replied 11 months ago.

OK, That seems like it would take more time than i have right now so I will opt out and another expert will help you shortly

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Sam I replied 11 months ago.

Hello, did you ever get this figured out?