Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a house which is below the gravity line making it so…

Customer Question
Hi.. i have a...

Hi.. i have a house which is below the gravity line making it so i have a pit with 2 sewer ejector pumps that pump it to the sewer line.... in replacing 1 of the pumps, I bought a little giant 2hp pump which has 4 wires: red/black/green/ white..... the 220V cable to the control box has 3 wires: red/black/green....... i tried matching the 3 wires and taping the white wire back onto cable, result is the pump hums but doesnt turn on. How do i wire this?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

2 weeks

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/28/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 4 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide me with the pump manufacturer name and the model number?

Little Giant 20S-CIM Submersible Sewage Pump 2 HP 230 V 195 gpm

Thanks for the model number

1) Do you have the control box wired to a dedicated 20 amp double pole circuit breaker? And are the black and red wires terminated to the 20 amp breaker?

it 2 pumps with 2 separate 20 amp breakers, black and red wire
the 2 breakers are in the control box.... unless it not an actual control box, it houses 3 breakers - 2 for each pump and 1 for relay to alternate which pumps goes on/off

OK, Thanks for the replies.

1) Sounds like you have it wired correctly. According to the instructions, it requires a 20 amp double pole breaker. Not sure why it is humming?

I will opt out of the question. Perhaps another expert can chime in.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up the question.

Electrician: Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician replied 4 months ago
Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** i may be able to help.

It sounds like the rotor on the motor may be stuck.

or the pump has a lock feature that would prevent it from functioning...it wouldn't be likely like this though, it is potentially damaging to the motor. You should check the hoses and pump housing for debris...allow me a moment to review the manual to check for a locking feature on this pump.

i was able to rotate the impeller part with hand
i havent even hooked up any lines or put it in yet, making sure it works before i do that... it's brand new

Hm, I wonder if this is a capacitor. It could have been bed from the manufacture.

been bad*

Im not seeing any diagrams on easily accessing the capacitor. But the humming motor is a symptom of a bad cap...

and it seems that this part frequently goes bad on these type of pumps. I would read that warranty over.

ok thanks.... does the wiring part seem ok?

It would seem that it is wired correctly. red to red, black to black, green to green. No neutral in use here so tape it off. And, that should do it.

Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts
Wayne Roberts, Electrical Technician