Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Running 6 awg from house, under an enclosed mud room to a…

Customer Question
Running 6 awg from...

Running 6 awg from house, under an enclosed mud room to a sub panel in the garage. Area is protected from the weather and insulated. Will run along a joist from building to building 3' above ground. Does cable need to be below (outside) of the insulation, or can it be in the insulated portion between the joists.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Planning stages.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. Well versed in electrical installation, not as well versed in electrical code.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

Recently upgraded 200 amp service. 50 amp sub-panel (ground not boded to neutral, as per.) Simply a better way to run a couple of 220v and 110v outlets out to the garage than it would be to run cable for each circuit.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All copper (Square -D, QO) Not a lot of load and less than 40' run but using AUG 6 to ensure there's enough for future load, should that become necessary.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/28/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Thanks, Mike. Grab some coffee while you read.

If you are running a #6 SER cable, code allows it to be attached to joist and not through them. You're OK for voltage drop at 40ft.

I'd thought about putting THHN in pipe from the main panel to the sub (50 amp breaker in main panel) but, if I don't have to deal the the expense, I'd just use "romex".

Can't use Romex outside of the building. Not approved for that. SER cable would be the right choice for installation and cost.

SER, 6 AWG, 3 wire with ground.) OK. (Just hate stripping outside jacket off of that stuff.)

Easier to strip than Romex.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician