Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I just replaced a chandelier in our dining room Before

Customer Question
Hi I just replaced...

Hi I just replaced a chandelier in our dining room Before screwing the fixture into the ceiling, I tested it with a lightbulb, and it worked. Now that I've screwed the fixture into the ceiling, it's tripping the circuit breaker

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I believe two years, but not sure - we just moved in

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

You must have either pinched a wire or a connection came undone.

Can one fix a pinched wire?
Hello?

Just cut it back and restrip it or tape it. It may need to be cut back if the short arced.it and reduced the wire size.

It takes time for your message to get to me and time for me to respond.

Oh, I'm sorry. This is my first time using this site, and I didn't see anywhere that you were still here. Thank you. Looking for a pinch now

No problem. Take your time.

Still tripping...
I tested it more than once as we were screwing it in, and it worked each time until we got it all the way in,

Is it on one lamp or several lamps. Put a lamp into the sockets one at a time

If it trips, skip that socket or sockets to isolate what is causing the trip. Let me know what happens.

There are three lamps, we only have one screwed in
Maybe I misspoke - there are three light bulbs, one lamp?

Screw one at a time to see if it trips. If it does, skip that lamp and do the same with the others.

There's only one set of wires, and it turned on fine with the lamp in that socket when the fixture was hanging out. It's only once we push it up into the ceiling that it's tripping

I understand that. To isolate the cause you need to eliminate potentials. Now please do as stated

Did we lose you?

No, I'm here.

Oh, sorry - your response hadn't come up yet. Okay, I'll do as you said.
We got it to work... not sure how. Thank you for your help

Very good, you're welcome.