Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I recently bought a metal melting furnace from China on eBay…

Customer Question
Hello, I recently bought...

Hello, I recently bought a metal melting furnace from China on eBay at 110 volts, I’m supposed to be able to use it in the USA. However, every time I plug it in and turn it on, it either blows the switch, and or the device has a spark near the bottom of the device, that rather a little scary. I barely know the basics, and of course the Chinese are being less than helpful, I know I won’t get my money back. If I’m doing something wrong and it will work, I’d love it. Any advice?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

I did not, it’s straight outta the box.....

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Fixing or forging......

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

S.Y. Melting Furnace. SY0001 on eBay......

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/28/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Give me all the information on the nameplate.

The name plate indicates it can be either 110V or 220V. You need to verify exactly what it's wired for.

The 2000W load at 120V is 16.6 Amps, which exceeds a 20 Amp circuit. It can only have a load 80% which is 16A. At 240V it would be 8.3 Amps which can be on a 15 Amp circuit.

If you plug it into most residential receptacles which are 15 Amp, it would spark and trip the breaker.

Also there could be other thing on that circuit which adds to the load and increases the amps.

Those outlets can only be a 15 or 20 Amp circuit and the nameplate indicates a load greater than either. It may be 110V but it would need to be on its own circuit. The circuit would be #10 wire on a 25 Amp circuit.

Ok, seems like I need to just go with propane tank furnace then........ this is why I do amazon and not Ebay ������������

Very good. At least you now know.

Thanks for your help, good night!

You're welcome

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician