Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I need to wire a 2 speed fan ( red, white, and black wire)

to a 6 pin carling...
I need to wire a 2 speed fan ( red, white, and black wire) to a 6 pin carling or rocker switch that is ON-OFF-ONI want one side of the on to go to the low and the other to the high switch..Can send pictures if wanted.
I have a pellet stove that the mother board switch for the fan is going out so I want to bipass it with a carling switch on-off-on. I have attached three pictures I hope that show the switch front and back and then the fan wires.The fan wires should be red low, black high, white neutral from what I have read.Thanks!
11/28/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

The switch shown is a 2 pole switch. The fan you're wiring I suspect is a 120V motor. The wiring connections are as follows.

1. Hot wire to center termination
  2. High speed lead to one of the end terminations
  3. Low speed lead to the other end termination.
with the red, black and white I thought the hot wire was the red and black? is it the white?When I looked it up I think the red was for low and the black for high on that fan.And does it matter which side of the switch I put them on?

It's a 2 pole switch. Only use one side for 120V.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician