Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My kitchen lights do not turn on. Every other light works,

Customer Question
every GFCI outlet in kitchen...
My kitchen lights do not turn on. Every other light works, every GFCI outlet in kitchen is working (replaced a broken one thinking it'd fix the problem, it did not) breakers are all on, they have been turned off then on again. Any ideas?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 4 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

No I unfortunately do not

Without a tester there isn't much we can do. Need to test, not guess. You can get one at any home center. I suggest a VOLT/CON type.

Going to buy one

Very good. Let me know what you get, so I know how to direct you.

Good ole two prong voltage tester

Get a Volt/Con. Easier to use, no setting required for voltage or continuity.

It's two prongs, with a light and a wire between them

No, it has bigger body, longer wires and does both voltage and continuity. Just ask for a Volt/Con type.

Lights up when used on working socket. Doesn't light up when out on hot and neutral of switc

Switches don't have neutrals on them, unless the circuit is over 80yrs old.

Ok. Doesn't light up when I touch the black and red wire

How many and what color are the wires on the switch?

The black wire that is just capped does t appear to have power
Doesnt*
The black wire and red wire attached to light do seem to have power. Lights still don't work

There should only be one or the other. The fixture should have a white neutral attached. Give me a count and color of the wires in the ceiling box, not including fixture wires.

Ceiling box? This is the wall switch
Switch had a black and red wire attatched to it along with the green ground

Yes, that's where the fixture is. Your picture shows a 3 way switch

The red and black in the same cable are travelers. The single black is the common, either hot or switched hot to the light . If it shows 120V to the ground wire it is the hot

which do I attach to the switch?
Update. Breaker is off. Single black has power. Timed with black and red do not. I looked up the chart for a 3 way with this set up. Looks straightforward.

The switch shown looks like a single pole. If there is another switch in the room controlling the same light, you need a 3 way switch for proper operation.

On a 3 way the wires connect as follows

1. Black hot from the 2 wire cable connects to the black screw.
  2. The black and red that are together connect each to a gold screw.
Oh wow. Not even close to how someone originally wired this
I wired the first switch that way. Now I'm looking at second part of 3 way. It has one times connected to it with ground, black, white, and red. The white is tapes the entire length with black electrical tape, none of it has power
You gone?

Put the red and black on the gold screws and the white taped wire on the black screw.

None of those wires are hot
Or "live"

The first switch should make the red or black hot depending on its position. If it doesn't you'll need to drop the fixture for count, color and connections in that box.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician