Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a 1960 breaker box, there no neutral connections, in…

Customer Question
I have a 1960...

I have a 1960 breaker box, there no neutral connections, in fact neutral wires where unheard of, now i'm connecting a 16v transformer to this box.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I connected the black to power and the green to ground what do I do with the neutral white wire?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes , I've done all the plumbing electrical carpentry myself.

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I built the house in 1960 all the two wires power & ground are in conduit.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I put my fixtures & outlets in myself. I just don't know what to do with this white neutral wire.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/27/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 6 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
I’m not sure what you mean but unless your house has all 240 volt wiring you have a neutral connection.
Where do all your outlet and lighting circuit neutrals connect in your panel?
Can you take a picture of your panel and upload it here?
I can't believe you don't understand, after all that explanation. I have a 240/ 120 system and NOOOOOO NEUTRAL WIRING!!!
I HAVE A 20 CIRCUIT FUSE [email protected]
You can’t have 120 volts without a neutral so yes you do. You may not know it but you do. Now can you upload a picture of the interior of your panel?
SEND ME MY MONEY BACK, PLEASSSE
That’s not up to me. Good luck and do yourself a favor and call in an electrician on site.
send me my money ,pleassss!!!!!
You’ll have to take that up with customer service.
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

This is an assist for Sam.

You have 3 wires from the utility. 2 are hots, 1 is the service ground. In the panel the service ground attaches to a neutral bar. At that point is where the neutrals originate and must be insulated wires. The circuit ground also attach on the bar. You must have a neutral.

Sam take over.

I see that Sam opted out. Did you understand my message?