Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Gfci outlet was fried which caused the upstairs outlets in…

Ok... so gfci outlet...

Ok... so gfci outlet was fried which caused the upstairs outlets in the bathrooms not to work... pulled the old gfci switch, put a new one in, had the white wires on the neutral side and black on the hot side, connected the ground, and the outlet did not work BUT both outlets upstairs worked, but showed reverse polarity, so I then put the old gfci outlet back in thinking that I may have gotten a bad switch, and then the down stairs outlet worked but upstairs did not... ugh!

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Will that be soon? Or should I look tom
11/27/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

I suspect that you miswired the replacement GFCI. You need to look at the back of the device. It has identification for Line and Load. The incoming power connects to Line, black on gold screw and white on silver screw. The wired for outlets further on the circuit are wired to the Load terminations, black on gold screw and white on silver.

ok... so I looked but cant determine which is the incoming power line? The back of the GFCI shows that neutral wires go to one side and the power to the other, but all screws are gold in color. The bottom screws I believe are for the trailing outlets with the top for the incoming power. Let me know if that sounds correct and how to identify which is the incoming power/neutral lines please

Not having a tester makes it necessary to only connect a pair of wires on the Line terminations and see if the outlet resets and works. If not connect the other wire and retest. When it works, you can't terminate the remaining wires on the Load terminals. A little involved when you don't have a tester.

I think I can pick up a tester at Home Depot.. Klein tools non-contact voltage tester. Would this make it easier?

Get a 2 wire voltage tester. A Volt/Con type is suggested. The non contact tester have limited use. If you get a kit with both testers that would be OK.

ok... so is there an incoming neutral as well or does that not matter?

Yes, it is paired with the hot wire.

It matters. You need 120V between the hot and neutral.

ok... so the tester will tell me which is the incoming neutral as well?

Make sure all the ground wires are joined together. Put one probe on the ground wires and with the other probe touch all black wires to see which gives you a 120V reading. Now with the probe on the black hot wire touch each white wire to find the neutral. It should enter the box with the hot wire. If you can't find the hot or the neutral the circuit is open ahead of the box you are working in. We can address that if necessary.

you say ALL ground wires? there is only one coming out of the wall.And when I find the hot black and put the probe on that, when I touch the neutral wires, will it read 120 when I hit the right one?

Yes.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
THANK YOU Mike... you made a seemingly mess of a situation easy to understand. I did as you instructed and my GFCI outlet and the two trailing outlets are working perfectly!

Very good, you're welcome.