Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a two light flood light receptacle and I like to to a…

Customer Question
I have a two light...
I have a two light flood light receptacle and I like to to a motion sensor on one of the lights and and have the other light wired for manual on/off. can you explain how I would do that?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/27/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Tell me how the existing circuit is wired. Are the lights wired fixture to fixture or are each wired back independently to the switch?

I have one 12/3 line from the switch to the two light fixture

That's good. Each light can have its own switch leg. The black to one and the red to the other with both sharing the neutral. Either light can have the motion detector. At the switch box a switch over switch can be installed for separate control.

Okay. I also have another two light fixture that I want to do the same thing but I have 12/2 wire going to this receptacle. Is there any way I can do something similar?

Having a receptacle after the switch, no. Ahead of the switch would split them with the installation of another 12/2 to the switch box for the further outlet or 12/3 from the switch to the closer outlet.. did you know that with a quick double switching the lights will come on and stay on until you switch them off. Might consider motion lights at both outlets.

I am not clear on your response, other than to say I was aware of the quick double switch to get both lights on a motion sensor to stay on. That is not what I want. I want one light to be on the motion sensor and the other light to have manual on/off. this way only one light in the fixture will light up with the motion sensor. I can't afford to have an electrician come out and I thought this would be something I could handle.

A rewire is the only option for the additional 2 lights.

Thanks

You're welcome.