Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Rob here. So, first things first, the pump is all hooked up…

Customer Question
Hey Kevin...Rob here. So...
Hey Kevin...Rob here. So, first things first, the pump is all hooked up and works GREAT!!! Thanks again for your help on that. Now, another issue for you. When we have a power outage (which happens somewhat frequently here on the island) and the power returns, it is tripping the arc fault breaker for the bedroom receptacles and lights. Is that normal? If not, what should I do about it?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/26/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Possibly a defective AFCI?

2) Do you have another known working AFCI in the panel of the same amperage? If so, try "rolling" the hot wire over to the known working AFCI and then kill power to the main breaker and restore power to the main breaker and see if the known working AFCI trips or not upon the restoration of commercial power.

Good idea, I’ll do that

OK, let me know if the problem follows or goes away.

Will do

Very good.

1) If the problem follows, unplug all loads from the receptacles and try again to simulate an outage using the main breaker.

Morning Kevin...
The power was out when I left the cabin last night, so I wasn't able to try your suggestion, but I will when I head back up there 12.8-10. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll give that a shot. Rob

OK, very good Rob.