Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

My shower pull switch got stuck, I bought a new one to

Customer Question
Hi, my shower pull switch...
Hi, my shower pull switch got stuck, I bought a new one to replace, when I unscrewed the switch part from the casing I could see that one of the wires had blown (melted) as I didn't have the correct tools to cut and strip the wire to enable me to replace the switch I left it as it was and turned the electricity back on... I now have no working plug sockets, cooker socket isn't working and the only light I have working is in the living room!! I have a fuse box with pull out plugs which are individually marked 'sockets' 'lights' 'cooker' 'shower' 'water heater' and each contain an individual fuse for the required AMP. I bought a replacement socket and lights fuse (even though 1 light still works) and replaced the socket fuse but still have no working sockets! I haven't replaced any other fuses... is it a possibility that more than 1 fuse has blown and I need to check them all or is there another reason of cause that I need to check to fix this...or does it sound like this could be a far bigger problem than I had imagined or hoped? Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/26/2017
Electrician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 7 months ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ..........it usually is the one circuit .........most likely what happened is where it was burned and you tried to fix it you may have a loose connection that powers everything else downstream .............keep the breaker off and redo that connection ...........it would help if you had a tester ...............how old is the house ?

I hope you have found my answers insightful, with content to your satisfaction and would consider a 5 star rating…….My goal is to give you the best experience with Just Answer as possible.… by your rating it would be the only way I can be compensated in facilitating your inquiry.........a deposit for a subscription was made by you but no payment will be forthcoming unless I am rated…..positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated......and I thank you

eddie

I hope this held substantial meaning for you ....got you out of your difficulty and would consider a 5 STAR rating so I can receive credit for my help. I'm proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you! If you do need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks

eddie