Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have just moved into a new residence and I have noticed…

Customer Question
I have just moved into...
I have just moved into a new residence and I have noticed higher voltage on the neutral wiring from time to time, I would like to obtain instruction from a knowledge electrician on how to troubleshoot this issue, and to understand why the neutral is carrying such high current at times, the last electrician that came on premises looked puzzled and did not show much knowledge on how to handle the troubleshooting, this is a 2,200sqft home with some additions.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/25/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 5 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

What are you using for a tester?

Is the voltage fluctuation on one or more circuits?

I'm using a multimeter, look what it did to this recently installed fixture, it overheated the wire and seems like it burned the transformer, also as I was replacing an outlet it showed sparks everytime ive tried to attch the cable to the neutral socket..

If you are testing hot to neutral and get a higher voltage the problem with the neutral is a bad connection. If on more than one circuit a common neutral is not fully connected. What happens is the voltage on some circuit will Spike and others will dim. Test at the panel and look for signs of arcing on the service neutral connection. Test each phase conductor to neutral with the main off. Then test neutral to each breaker, main on. Let me know the readings.

Same reading with the main off or on, 121v to 122v. Also, I wanted to let you know that FPL has tested the neutral at the meter and everything checked out good.

If there is a repeating voltage fluctuations, the problem is on the utility line and their responsibility. If the fluctuation is on only on a couple of circuits, it is a neutral problem at or after the panel. To have only one destructive surge, it is an act of God, lightning strike most likely. Having FPL as your utility, they offer surge protection and insurance at a very attractive cost. I have FPL and also have their surge protection. Check it out. Well worth it

Also, neutral to groud gave me 0.7v

Call FPL and sign up for the surge protection. The reading don't show anything to show a reason for the issue.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician