Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

A few months ago i changed out the light in my ceiling fan…

Customer Question
Hi. A few...

Hi. A few months ago i changed out the light in my ceiling fan (put in new about 9 months ago) to a higher wattage lightbulb. The light recently just went out. I bought a new lightbulb same wattage 150W and it goes on but is very very dim.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A couple weeks.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I tried another lightbulb but it did the same thing.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/24/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Your description indicates a bad connection. I suggest checking the fan/light connections at the ceiling first.

How do I do that?

Open the canopy and inspect the wirenut connections. In many installations the leads from the fan are stripped too short which causes problems you have.