Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I a hot wire from main breaker box on the house. Runs to a…

Ok. I a...

Ok. I a hot wire from main breaker box on the house. Runs to a carport. I wanted to install breaker box run one circuit to put lights and recepticals under carport. I wanted to run the other circuit to a shed to install lights and receptacles.Hey

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just bought the box.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The hot wire from the house is 12-2 w ground. Does the box need to be grounded.

11/23/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

A 12/2 20A circuit doesn't require a breaker box at the end of the circuit. The over current protection at the service panel is all that is needed. The size of the wire depends on the length of the circuit. Tell me the lenght for verification of the wire size.

Since the wire is coming up from the ground wanted enter box with hot wire from the bottom.

No problem with that.

I dont see an answer anywhere.

I'll repeat the answer.

1. You don't need a breaker box in the outbuildings for 1 circuit.
  2. Entering the box from the bottom is OK.
  3. I asked for the distance to the out buildings to verify the wire size for you.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Ok the other thing you missed is that I need a circuit to run to a different place a tool shed which is located about 20 ft from the corner of the carport where the wire comes out of the ground. The wire is already in place from the main service panel. It runs approximately 35 ft. SORRY I had to run in the middle of this yesterday
Terry Peterman
Terry Peterman, The Internet Electrician
Phone call session started