Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Huge bang and what looked like an arc flash. Lights went out…

Customer Question
Huge bang and what...

Huge bang and what looked like an arc flash. Lights went out but CB didn't trip. Sparky came in today, checked both RCDs and a visual but found nothing. What could he issue be? Very concerning.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Happened last night

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Bang came from the switchboard

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/23/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

The bang is an indication of a short circuit. Either your breaker failed to trip or the short was ahead on the incoming line. The flash would leave a visual mark directing as to where to look. In some cases the arc will cause wires to move and break the path of the short. If the service feeder is in metal voduit the fault could be on the conductors in the conduit due to an insulation failure. Might want to get a more experienced electrician to look at it. I advise not to dismiss it.