Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I installed a new wall oven including new 8 gauge wiring to…

Customer Question
Hello,I installed a new wall...
Hello,I installed a new wall oven including new 8 gauge wiring to the main panel which I just finished replacing. I believe it’s a 50 Amp 220 breaker. The wiring I ran is the 3 wire copper stranded plus bare copper ground. The oven has the same, two hots, neutral and ground. I used wire nuts that were aluminum and the connection is in a junction box. The oven worked but there was always a slight burnt/ smoke smell that I thought was possibly some kind of coating or residue burning off inside the oven. After a few weeks I went to use the oven and there was billowing smoke after a moment or two so I immediately turned it off. I inspected the wiring and connection and found that the wire nuts are melted and charged only on the two hot wires. The wiring all looks fine. Is it just the damn aluminum that was some kind of issue? How do I properly make this connection and what may have caused this? Thanks.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/23/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 7 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) A 50 amp circuit requires 6 AWG copper and not 8 AWG copper. 8 AWG copper conductors are rated for a maximum of 40 amps and not 50 amps. If the oven circuit requires a 50 amp breaker, you need to re-wire the circuit using 6 AWG copper or 4 AWG aluminum.

2) You won't be able to splice 6 AWG copper conductors with a traditional wire nut. I recommend to use piercing connectors at the junction box. Piercing connectors are sold at a local electrical supply store. See this link for an example: http://www.galvanelectrical.com/catalog/insulationPiercingConnectors.asp

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Ok, I’ll double check the wire size, breaker size and required breaker for the oven. I checked all that before running the wire but I don’t remember 100%. I maybe have used a larger breaker when I moved some stuff around in the panel. If the breaker was upsized inadvertently would that have caused the melted nuts? Or was it that they were aluminum?

Thanks for the replies.

1) An oversized breaker can create an excessive amount of heat on undersized conductors. The circuit wires need to be sized according to the breaker size.

2) Aluminum and copper are dissimilar metals. If the conductors are all copper, then copper rated wire nuts should always be used. If a mixture of copper and aluminum wire, then alumicon connectors or piercing connectors are recommended. Aluminum wire nuts should not be used on copper conductor splices.

Any other questions?

Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 6 months ago

Does that help to answer your questions?