Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Similar problem, need a wiring diagram for a Dayton

Customer Question
Similar problem, need a...

Similar problem, need a wiring diagram for a Dayton reversing capacitor motor Type: 4K152

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

The motor is used on an old Atlas lathe...who knows how old. My buddy is an electrician; he told me to check here first.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I've wired motors before. I just need to correctly identify T1 through 8 and make sure the drum switch I buy is wired properly. I do have some background knowledge.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Can't think of anything.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/22/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 5 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Hello, I think you will just have to ring out the wires with a meter. Open the capacitor housing and remove the wires from the capacitor. Then at the motor connection leads test for resistance. Record your readings between all wires. I assume this is a 6 wire motor? If so the two pairs that have readings are your main windings. The two remaining that have no reading between them are your start wing. You can verify this by testing from capacitor connection end to motor lead end.
Capacitor wires are t5 and t8
Main windings are T1, T2 & T3, T4
Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician