Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a Harbor Breeze Exeter fan and the motor has seized

up. Anything that can be...
I have a Harbor Breeze Exeter fan and the motor has seized up. Anything that can be done for that?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Well, we use the light everyday but not the fan. Noticed it a few weeks ago that it wouldn't turn and just tried it again the other day
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: My stepson is an electrician - he said was easier to get a new fan but we don't see any that we like nearly as well.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I am aware of. Just want to know if it is possible to be repaired, or does it seem like the motor is shot.
11/21/2017
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) It is possible that the fan capacitor has failed or burnt. You would need to access the fan motor housing area and perform a visual inspection on the capacitor to see if it is burnt or is partially melted. The capacitor component is responsible for controlling the fan motor speeds. Very seldom do fan motors completely fail, the capacitor is usually the culprit.

Keep in mind that if replacing the capacitor, it must be of the same micro-farad value and contain the same quantity of wires as the original, otherwise it will not work. Generic capacitors will not work, must be an identical replacement.

If replacing the capacitor, make sure that you label the wires prior to de-installing the original cap.

2) I recommend that you contact eceilingfans.com shown in the link below. Provide them with the fan manufacturer name and model number of th fan and they can assist you on getting the correct replacement capacitor part.

http://www.eceilingfans.com/capacitors_-_ceiling_fans.html

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you!

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor