Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Trying to wire a pool pump 230V. Everything I can find

Customer Question
Trying to wire a...

Trying to wire a pool pump 230V. Everything I can find online just talks about red, black and whit wires....I also have a blue wire com g from the conduit. What would be the proper connection? My motor has a 1, 2, and “3 or 4” connection...I think red is 1, black is 2....but where should the blue be connected (the green ground is also connected)?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just trying to connect it today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Sitting at the pump now

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

?

Contractor's Assistant: What confuses you?

Your question. I described in my opening question what my question is...are you able to help?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? Is the conduit metal or PVC?

I don’t have a tester. The conduit is metal with the 4 wires (red, black, green, and blue running through it).

To know what the blue wire is a tester is required. Are you sure it's blue and not a discolored green?

Positive it’s blue....there is a separate green! 4 wires total!

Give me the information on the motor nameplate. By colors, that group of wire colors indicate a 3 phase 120/208 circuit. I see an open terminal in the motor and a hook on the blue wire, which suggests 3 phases

Is the configuration in the pic correct (red to “1”, black to “2”, green to green)...?
If so, just need to figure out where the blue one needs to be connected, if not, what needs to change?

Need nameplate info. If 3 phase the order of connection determines the direction of rotation. That is the only consideration for the order of connection.

You have a 2 speed motor and the blue terminates on#3. The wiring diagram shows that.

to be clear, the pic I sent is correct and the blue wire just needs to be connected to “3”?

Correct. I only wonder why it was removed.

It’s a new motor replacing an old motor but the wiring system was different on the new motor...it just hadn’t been connected yet! I appreciate your help. I will see that it’s running properly and let you know

Very good.