Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have the symptoms of a circuit but no circuit has tripped.

Customer Question
I have the symptoms...

I have the symptoms of a blown circuit but no circuit has tripped. I thought maybe a black wire had popped somewhere along the circuit and that was causing the absence of power. All the whites show continuity when you touched with my tester.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It just started yesterday

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I don’t think so. Because I am at a loss. Although I have done extensive electrical work in building three different houses that I’ve lived in, this one problem is an enigma. When I tested as many black wires in boxes that were no longer working, that is duplex boxes, all the black wires showed no power. So I made a jumper cable out of to mail three prong plugs. I plugged one of those plugs into a working ground fault receptacle and the other end of the plug into one of my dead duplexes. I fully expected all the dead receptacles would come to life. But no, each time I push the plug into the ground fault receptacle it tripped .

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

House originally built in the 1930s. Remodeled 2 yrs ago. Did not consult electrician yet

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just my failure to understand why when I “jumpstart” the dead circuit from a live circuit it will trip the gfi plug I’m jumping from. But whatever the fault is, it hasn’t tripped its own circuit breaker

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/21/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Unfortunately you don't have a circuit map of the electrical system. Panel directories are worthless. Not knowing exactly which outlets are on the circuit makes troubleshooting more difficult. The dead circuit no doubt has an open connection at one of the outlets. It is either the first dead outlet or theworking outlet ahead of it. I suggest trying the wiggle. Plug a vacuum cleaner in a dead outlet. Make sure it is switched on. No go to all dead outlets and with a plug, wiggle the outlet side to side. If nothing happens, go to working outlets in the area and possiblely in adjacent rooms and wiggle them. In.most cases the action make the loose connection make. This proceedure makes opening boxes unnecessary. When you hear the vacuum, you found the problem outlet.

Your answer would work except that I’m not just experiencing a loose wire in the system causing power outage at several boxes: I’m finding something that trips my powere source when I add fresh power fro a different circuit. Why should it do that and not trip it’s own circuits breaker. .

If you are connecting an extension to a circuit and lose power without a breaker trip, you must have a connection that is grounding. Without any load on the circuit you'll need to test for continuity hot to neutral on the new extension. And if the circuit goes dead on the one that you are connecting to, the previous instruction applies.

If any outlet is terminated using the push back wire connection, that would be the most likely cause. They always fail and should never be used.all terminations under screws. Too many wires, wirenut with a jumper to device.