Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I am trying to replace a five wire capacitor on a ceiling…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to replace a five wire capacitor on a ceiling fan.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

All day. my question is that is have matched up the three wires on the right side. i matched up one of the orange wires on the left with the orange wire coming out of the motor housing. i have one orange wire left and i can't figure out what it goes to. any help is greatly appreciated.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When i turned the fan before i started working on it, i heard a crackling sound.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/18/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 8 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the replacement cap an exact replacement of the original cap...ie....same uF rating or a generic replacement cap?

2) Did you label the wires or take a picture prior to removing the original cap?

The capacitor is identical to the original.
No, I disconnected the wires one at a time and reconnected the same way.

If an identical replacement and if you disconnected the wires one at a time, then why an extra orange wire?

1) Unfortunately, there is seldomly wiring schematic diagrams available for ceiling fans. If the cap was an identical replacement with the same wire quantity and colors, then the fan motor speeds should work correctly and there should not be any remaining wires.

I will opt out of the question. Perhaps another expert can assist you better.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once your question is picked up by another expert.

That's my dilemma, I don't where this last wire goes.
I only cut four wires originally and I found a small orange wire on the floor.
Should there be a four wires coming out of the speed switch