Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Buying a new GE Electric cooktop that has 3 wire for 240V…

Customer Question
Hi, buying a new...

Hi, buying a new GE Electric cooktop that has 3 wire for 240V (black, red and green/ground), ie. no neutral. My existing cooktop and house wiring is 4 wire (black, red, white and ground). Do I just cap off the neutral in the junction box with a wire nut?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

My old cooktop is a Jenn air. The new GE will be a JP3030DJBB

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I am quite capable, and my father was an electrician, but is no longer here.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nope, should be simple. Just want to confirm what to do with the neutral on the existing house wiring.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/18/2017
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Since the new appliance does not require a neutral, it is safe to cap it off and not use it. This is not terribly uncommon when switching brands and/or models on cooktops.