Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have had a power loss to everything this 15 amp circuit…

Customer Question
I have had a power...
I have had a power loss to everything this 15 amp circuit breaker is lined up to. A few outlets and a couple lights. Curcuit breaker never tripped. Swapped out with another 15 and still nothing. What I thought was a bad breaker worked in place of the swapped one.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/18/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 5 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a multimeter to check voltages?

2) Have you tried to temporarily "roll" the hot wire from the dead circuit to another known working 15 amp breaker in the panel to see if the trouble follows or goes away?

Haven’t tried any of these. Battery dead in multimeter. Breaker is fine. Works in the place of another.

1) OK, get a replacement battery for the meter and measure voltage at a dead receptacle as shown in the diagram below and let me know the 3 voltage measurements:

2) Any chance that there is a GFCI device on the circuit which may have tripped?

Won’t be able to do anything until 4am. No GFCI as the only outlets affected are in the living room of home.

OK, get a battery for the meter and we can continue. Just reply back to me at the same question like you have been doing and we can take it from there.

Thanks...........Kevin

Have multitester and voltage detector
No voltage but no continuity either. Reading around 90 when set to 200 ohms. Voltage detector picking up something on each outlet though.

1) Continuity testing is not required. I need to know the 3 voltage measurements on a dead receptacle. Refer to the diagram I sent last night.

I get nothing from any outlet going to breaker which is why I tried a continuity test after.

1) I assume that the breaker hot wire to the neutral bus bar in the panel is measuring 120 volts, correct? If so, then the problem is an open hot conductor downstream of the panel.

Back out all devices on the circuit and look for any backstab wired insert connections as these are always prone to come loose and cause a failure. Device wires should always terminate to the side screws and never back-stab inserted. See diagram shown below:

One of the first things I did was replace all outlets including ones with the backstab. I also have 120v coming off breaker

OK, since the breaker is good, the problem is an open hot wire downstream of the panel. Double check all splices/terminations at the devices.

Everything looked fine when replacing all outlets to breaker. I’ll have to check light fixtures and maybe even crawl space under house but I’ll have to do that tomorrow morning. 7 day work 12 hour day schedule gives me almost no time.

1) Yes I understand. All depends upon how the circuit was originally routed. Circuit could have been routed thru other known working boxes that contained slices. Yes, the hot wire could also have originated from any box on the circuit such as lighting or junction boxes or switch boxes.

1) Yes I understand. All depends upon how the circuit was originally routed. Circuit could have been routed thru other known working boxes that contained splices. Yes, the hot wire could also have originated from any box on the circuit such as lighting or junction boxes or switch boxes.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

It probably won’t be until our thanksgiving break I’ll even have another chance to look things over again but other than that I didn’t find any loose wires. Just need to check wire running under house.

OK, very good.

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor