Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

All of the outlets in our garage show hot neutral reverse. I…

Customer Question
All of the outlets in...
All of the outlets in our garage show hot neutral reverse. I traced back to the power line that feeds power to the garage. The neutral wire test hot and the black wire test neutral.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/18/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 8 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Are you using a multimeter or a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester to check voltage at the receptacles or are you using a plug-in cube tester?

Ac voltage

1) What type of tester are you using?

1) What color wire is terminated to the single pole breaker? Black or white wire?

1) Using a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or a mulitmeter, take the 3 following voltage measurements at a few of the receptacles and let me know the results:

A) Short slot (hot) to Long slot (neutral)

B) Short slot (hot) to round ground hole

C) Long slot (neutral) to round ground hole

a

I am not understanding your replies. It is though they are being cutoff.

Therefore, I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board. Perhaps another expert can better assist you.

No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once your question is picked up by another expert.

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 8 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your specific question. Please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

Do your outlets have the older style 2 prong type or the more modern 3 prong type?

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks,

Dave

D​id you still need help answering this question or were you able to resolve the problem? Just let me know and I will continue to assist.

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 7 months ago

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with a question back on November 17, 2017 and therefore I am wondering if you have resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would appreciate a reply from you so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for a solution.

Hello...

I am not sure if you have been receiving my follow up messages regarding this question however, if you would be so kind as to please respond and let me know if the information I provided initially was helpful or if you still require some assistance, I would sincerely ***** ***** that way I can either continue helping you or forward this to customer support for further processing.

Thank you very much,

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 6 months ago

Hello... I would very much appreciate if you can take a few moments and reply to this email and let me know if you still require assistance, or should I proceed forward to closing out this question since it has been open for so long.

Thank you,

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 5 months ago

Your assistance is needed... A​s of today this question is almost 60 days old, and based on the nature of the problem along with the recommendation that were provided, I would like to close for us to close out this question. In order to do that it requires a rating by you as explained below.

Please note that the rating is only based on the experts attempt to resolve the problem. If you feel a credit or refund is applicable, please contact customer service directly as the experts are not authorized to handle these matters.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

​Thank you very much for your assistance with this, I sincerely ***** *****

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 4 months ago

Hello... As part of our continuous follow up procedures, every open question requires it to be closed out once it has gone past a reasonable time, and that the expert has provided an answer that should have helped resolve your question. This can be done simply by completing the 5 Star Rating once it appears. If you still require assistance or have additional questions, you can let the expert know by replying to this posting that you still need their advice and recommendations.

Thank you,

Dave