Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I would like to run a 30 amp extension from the dryer outlet…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to run a 30 amp extension from the dryer outlet to run a 30 amp heater in the garage. The dryer is 4 wire with ground and the heater is 3 wire with ground. Both are 30 amps.I understand that if both are turned on at the same time the circuit will trip. Running a second 30 amp line is very difficult as the distribution panel is on the other side of the house.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Not sure what you mean. the heater was a birthday present.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/17/2017
Electrician: Sam I, Electrician replied 8 months ago
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

You could do it, but you would need a manual transfer switch to ensure that only one outlet was being served at a time. I can try to find one for you and give you a link if you like.

I did a little searching anyway and found this 30 amp double pole 3 position switch http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/electrical/switches/wall-switches/Toggle-Switch-Double-Pole-Double-Throw-30A-120-277V-AC-Brown?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKCAiArrrQBRBbEiwAH_6sNIgGvJx-7myeaBvG4-opQVeHSL9g_nWKuCkAHgeDLX7hsCBSon2EHxoCwT0QAvD_BwE

It will turn on power to either the dryer or the heater depending on which position it is in - or both can be turned off by it being in the middle.

If that answers your question, please don't forget to rate my answer so I can get credit for answering.