Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

You provided a 3-way lighting circuit for my steel building…

Customer Question
Hello, you provided a 3-way...
Hello, you provided a 3-way lighting circuit for my steel building workshop that was very helpful.For some reason I am having a mental block on how to wire up a bathroom GFI outlet, light, fan and switch in this same building and could use a wiring diagram. What complicates it for me is that I want the fan to also run off of the GFI circuit. Most of my junction boxes/conduit are ran on the loft above the bathroom with FMC or EMT running down through the walls and ceiling for the fan. I will be using THHN. Below is my layout:- I have power coming into a junction box (box 1) on top of the loft that I want to feed to a bathroom GFI outlet, light, fan and a single switch to control both. The fan and light are separate with the lght being over the sink and the fan right in front of a shower (don't believe GFI is required unless the fan is over the shower but it is a small shop bathroom so thought it better to put the fan on GFI also).
- The GFI outlet drop (FMC) is from box #1 and I already have line and load wires run to/from the outlet box with the load returning up to box #1.
- I have conduit running from the above j-box (box #1) to another j-box (box #2) and then a drop down to the light/fan switch box.
- I also ran conduit from the j-box (box #2) to a j-box (box #3) for the fan (all on top of the loft).
- Please show a neutral wire into the switch box in case I end up putting a smart switch of some type in.Hope that isn't too confusing or missing any detail. Thanks.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/17/2017
Electrician: mrromex, Electrical Technician replied 5 months ago
mrromex
mrromex, Electrical Technician
if I'm reading this correct you want the fan protected by the gfi but not the light, but you only want 1 switch to control both fan and light
in much fewer words than it took me to write. ;)
Does it matter if the light is gfi protected as well
I don't suppose it does matter but only if it makes the wiring simpler.
Ok so you have to come off the load side of the gfi to the switch then jump up to the light and over to the fan
Thanks...I am more of a visual person which is why I asked for a wiring diagram (like I received when I used Just Answer before for wiring up multiple shop lights on a three-way circuit. No worries...I'll figure it out. Thanks.
Hello...the diagram you provided does not have the fan on the GFCI circuit as I mentioned I wanted to do. No worries...I figured it out myself.
mrromex
mrromex
mrromex, Electrical Technician