Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have installed a new bathroom fan, heater light that

Customer Question
I have installed a...

I have installed a new bathroom fan, heater light that requires a dedicated 20 amp breaker. I believe all of the wiring is correct but the 20 amp breaker is a tandem. The heater and fan come on but not really, like they are getting power but not enough. Could the problem be the tandem breaker? Do I need a single pole?

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

1960's and no

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

The work is done, which is why i know it isn't working right.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/13/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Standing by

Are you referring to a Twin or 2 pole breaker. The 2 pole has a tie between 2 handles.

twin

To know if the problem is the breaker you'll need a 2 wire voltage tester. One probe on the breaker termination and the other probe on the neutral bar. Looking for 120V.

Ok, I will check that but i just want to know if the 20 amp twin breaker meets the requirement of a dedicated 20 amp breaker ?

It is a 20A, yes.