Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a electric range. I cooked a frozen pizza in its

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a electric range. I cooked a frozen pizza in its entirety and then the oven cut off. I went to the electric panel and breaker was tripped. Tried to reset it but it tripped again. Range is about 7 years old. I unplugged the range then reset the breaker and it did not trip when oven was unplugged. Is it a bad oven bad pigtail plug or something else?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Samsung electric/convectional approximately 7 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends on what the problem could be.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When the 50 amp breaker to the oven trips, it also trips a 15 amp GFI breaker in the panel. The oven breaker is approximately #18 and the GFI I think is #2, so they are not even close in the pannel.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/13/2017
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 9 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your electric oven question. On behalf of Just Answer, I do apologize for the extended wait time you’ve experienced without an expert responding to your question. Now that I am logged on, please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

I​f the breaker tripped while it was working then would not reset until you unplugged the oven, the problem is in the oven itself from the wall outlet to the oven controls. This could be in the cord, the main terminal connections, the control panel, the thermostat or selector switch, or the elements. The only way to know is to open the oven up and test the connections and controls systematically using a voltage/ohm meter. You can narrow this down if the selector switch and thermostat are off that kind of eliminates these items plus the elements, at least past the controls since these are off. As for the GFCI tripping as well, that is not uncommon that the amount of force required to trip a 50amp breaker will often times pull smaller breakers along with it, even if not near each other. It just takes a resistance or sensitivity jolt to trip other breakers.

I wish there was something more I could do for you and the problems you are experiencing with your oven, however, and I am sure you’ll agree, that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, as sometimes they may need closer inspection and intervention, or are simply not feasible or advised for safety reasons, and I am sorry to say, this is one of those times.

Since most appliances are built in a way to be attractive on the exterior, they tend to hide the parts and wiring that make them work. A qualified and authorized service provider will need to be present to further troubleshoot and diagnose this appliance, and determine exactly what is faulty. They should also be able to provide an estimate of whether it is worth repairing or if it is better to replace.

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question? If this information was helpful you can close out this question simply by completing the rating questionnaire when prompted, however…

If you are still having problems that my response and recommendations were unable to resolve, just let me know and I will continue looking for another possible solution, however I do ask that you please do not complete the rating until I have had a chance to do some further research.

Thanks,

Dave

Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 8 months ago

I was reviewing my open questions list and noticed this one has not been answered or replied to. Did you still need help with it or should it go back to customer service for proper processing?

Bad electrical cord. Replaced cord and oven is working fine now.

O​k thanks for the reply glad it was something relatively simple. In order for this question to close out you will need to complete the rating. Please note the rating has nothing to do with the monies you already deposited, it merely ask how the expert handled your question. If you feel my response was non helpful just let me know so I can contact customer service for a credit or refund. I did note however in my initial reply I mentioned the problem might be the cord, which it turns out solved the problem.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave