Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have to red wires that are live which I have connected…

Customer Question
I have to red...

I have to red wires that are live which I have connected together as thats how I foung them. two black wires also connected together and one red wire and a black wire with red sleeve connected together. Light does not work. What,s wrong please.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

This morning I was asked to replace a light bar with four spots with a florecent light. for my inlaw.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if I can figure out which wire is in the wrong place

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Only that as far as I can see I have kept the wires in the connections they were in before

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/13/2017
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 5 months ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Hi this is George let me help you!
Do you have a two probe tester?
But I need to know what to set it on
First of all where are you located
Please type answers
South Coast england

Where are you located?

Bognor

Ok? so you need to have your meter set on 240 v

ok
dc or ac

What do you have connected to the fixture ?

AC

a flourescent light

Bare with me I'm in the states ! What wires do you have connected to the light?

two black together one red and one black with a red sleeve and earth
There are also two red wires connected together which are live
but not connected to the light

What is connected to the light?

Two black together one red and one black with red sleeve together and earth
on its own

Can you take a pic of the wiring and send it to me?

no its at a different location

Ok when will you be on site?

I don,t have computer at site

Your phone?

George this is getting complecated I will have to find another way
George Smith
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician