Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have an EcoSmart Eco 27 tankless water heater that runs…

Customer Question
I have an EcoSmart Eco...
I have an EcoSmart Eco 27 tankless water heater that runs off 3 double-pole 40A breakers. The 40A breakers are on a subpanel that’s fed by a double-pole 125A breaker on my main panel. About a week ago, the 125A breaker began to trip when we ran hot water. I’ve ordered a new double-pole 125A breaker and will install it when it arrives. However, both yesterday and today, other separate single-pole breakers have tripped under minimal use on those circuits (yesterday it was two breakers, today it was four). Besides the possibility that all of these breakers need replacing at the same time, what could be the issue? BACKGROUND: As far as I know, this electrical panel is 30 years old. It is labeled as a GE Load Center Type 1 Indoor Enclosure TM2420WF Mod 8.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/12/2017
Electrician: WCohn, Construction Worker replied 5 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Construction Worker

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

My first guess is one of the elements in the water heater is blown and grounding out

I should have stated...I’ve already troubleshooted the water heater with the help of an EcoSmart technician over the phone with my multimeter. That problem was narrowed down to the 125A breaker. However, now, I’m considering there may be something wrong with the electrical panel itself, since I have other breakers tripping now under low use on those circuits. AND, this has never happened before in the three years we’ve lived here. But, all of a sudden, in the last week, we’ve had problems on 5 different circuits (1 double-pole 125A and 4 single-pole 15A).

I would look for some wiring grounding out in the panel or on the bus connections. You may need an electrician to safely troubleshoot this.

Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 5 months ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician
Hi this George can I help you?
Do you have a amp probe
After 30 years most of your breakers could be tripping at lower rating than manufacturer specs!
I have this multimeter, so I think so: Klein MM100 (http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/discontinued-products/manual-ranging-multimeter)
That may be so, but for that many to start tripping in the same week?
Are you capable of testing them?
I'm trying look for your tester?
Does it have a clamp on amp probe
With some instruction, I can. However, I’m not at home right now, so it will have to be in a couple hours.
It’s the only one I see at the link I provided above.

Is this in a commercial building?

No, just my house.

You have 3 phase in your house?

sorry I misread your post !!

I would try replacing a few of the breakers that are tripping first?

Inspect the panel and see if you can see anything obvious.

If that don't work an electrician needs to inspect your your panel .

FYI breakers don't last forever !

George Smith
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician