Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have 415 amps worth of branch circuit breakers. what size…

Customer Question
I have 415 amps...

I have 415 amps worth of branch circuit breakers. what size service do i need for my house? is 200 sufficient

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

It will be new construction.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I am an electrician, but not sure of residential codes as I am an industrial wireman

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The house is existing and we are doubling the square footage and adding a garage. I am going to re pull all existing electrical, and rough all new construction

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/11/2017
Electrician: Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor replied 5 months ago
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) A load calculation needs to be performed. Please provide me with the following information?

A) Habitable square footage of the home

B) Does the home contain any electric appliances such as an electric dryer or electric oven or electric range or electric cooktop or electric hot water heater or dishwasher or garbage disposal or hot tub/spa or air compressor or welder?

C) Does the home contain an electric furnace or heat pump or any electric baseboard heaters or a central air conditioner?

D) How many amps is the existing service? What size is the main breaker?

E) The quantity of branch breakers are not additive in a panelboard that make up the service amperage.

Mike, Master Electrician