Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

On a 480 step down xfmr shouldn't it be H1 to H4 and L1 to…

Customer Question
On a 480 step...

On a 480 step down xfmr shouldn't it be H1 to H4 and L1 to L4 with the remainder wires combined as neut?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I simply disconnected the unit , moved it, and reconnected. However, it was wired H1 to H3 , same on L side

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

I saw no such things

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Work completed. Xfmr quite hot to start with and after rehooking, (and with very little load) it heated right up again. Were the connections wrong to begin with?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
11/10/2017
Electrician: George Smith, Master Electrician replied 8 months ago
George Smith
George Smith, Master Electrician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your electrical issue. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Let me review your question!

Have you been helped ?

To run 480 primary, you connect H2 and H3.

Similarly, if you want the secondary at 240, you connect X2 and X3.
If you want 120, you connect X1 to X2, and X3 to X4.

Square D has 3 different ways to wire the secondaries. X1/X2 --- X3/X4 gave just 120. X1-- X2/X3----X4 gave 240 between X1 and X4, but you could also get 120 between X1 and X2/X3 and 120 between X2/X3 and X4.

Don't you have a name plate the the Xfmr ?