Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I would like to convert a wall outlet to a junction box so I

can add power to the...
I would like to convert a wall outlet to a junction box so I can add power to the room behind the current wall outlet....I have already removed the wall plate and can see that there are currently 2 wires attached to the outlet, one is for power and the other goes to service the switches in the room i would like to add power to...once I remove the outlet fixture what is the best way to make the junction to supply power to the existing switches and my new outlet?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: thinking about it for awhile but just cut the holes today : )
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: don't think so, I just want to do it legit...
11/5/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

The 2 wires on a receptacle are a hot and a neutral. Is the receptacle controlled by a switch?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, just your every day outlet, and I believe it is the distal outlet as there is a door to the immediate right of it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do better with written instructions, thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you still there Mike?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to step away for a few minutes but will be right back, thanks..........

The wires should be 1 black and 1 white. Is that the way it is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can see the b/w into the outlet an another set out to the switches
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to eliminate the outlet but still have power to the switches and the new outlet on the other side of the wall
I will, of course put a blank cover over the existing outlet box

You can connect a black and white on open scres on the receptacle to power your additional outlets to be installed or remove the receptacle and just connect to the wires.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
for some reason I thought 3 sets of wire in a single gang box did not give enough room to do this to code?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mike? are you watching a football game?

The count of the insulated wires plus 1 for the bare ground wires X2 equals the cubic inch of wires. The length X width X depth of the box determine the cubic inch of the box. Does the wire exceed the box? If not will 2 more wires exceed the box?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that is the question, the box is 2x3.5x3........

Your box is 21 cubic inches. What's the count of the wires in the box?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will be 9

That is 18 cubic inches. Box will be OK.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks, ***** ***** a little slow but I think/hope I have the info I need

You're welcome. The speed is the fact that we're using email.

I see you haven't rated yet. Please do it. 5 stars would be appreciated.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician