Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We have 4 outlets that are not working - and the lights on…

We have 4 outlets...

We have 4 outlets that are not working - and the lights on the side of the garage door outside don't work either it's not the breaker we've flipped each breaker manually even replaced the breaker controlling these outlets we even replaced each of the receptacles

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A voltage tester shows power at the breaker, but none at any of the affected outlets or lights probably a couple weeks haven't had a chance to deal with it until this weekend

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Had tested/reset every GFI we could find in the house we would like to if possible - but at this point ready to call in help

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that's it two of the outlets are outside

11/5/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

What do you have for a tester?

we used a FLUKE voltage tester that lights up and beeps when power is present

Test one of the dead outlet as follows for voltage.

1. Hot to neutral
  2. Hot to ground
  3. Neutral to ground

No voltage on above tests

1. Test neutral to ground for continuity.
hmmm - not sure how to do that? When we put the voltage tester to the hot wire on a working outlet, we get a light and beep. none of the wires either coming into or going out of (two are junctions) the dead outlets produce a light or beep on the tester

Oh, you have a non contact tester. Not much use in troubleshooting. You need either a VOLT/CON type tester or a multimeter. They are 2 wire testers.

we also have a klein continuity tester?

You need to test exactly as directed with a 2 wire tester that does voltage and continuity. Anything else either won't give the right information or will fry a continuity tester.

ok - we'll go get one of those testers - what will the test tell us - if we find no voltage still at each outlet?

No voltage on all tests and no continuity on last one, indicates a tripped GFCI.

No voltage hot to neutral and voltage hot to ground, indicates open neutral.

Voltage neutral to ground, indicates open neutral.

Knowing what you're looking for makes finding it easier. Need to test not guess.

ok thanks - will test. What does an open neural mean and how do we fix?

Circuits have 2 wires, hot and neutral for voltage. If either is not connected the outlets are dead. Testing will isolate the problem cause and depending on the results the steps to correct follow. Do the tests, give me the results and I'll direct you from there.

What settings do we need to put the multi meter on to test as you noted?

First tests...120VAC

Continuity... Any Ohms setting.

I don't see 120VAC on the multimeter?

It is a multi ranging tester. It sets to the limit on the 'V" selection.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician