Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Wiring diagram for outlet on a switch the to a light on same…

wiring diagram for outlet...

wiring diagram for outlet on a switch the to a light on same switch

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

10 years old have not consulted an electrician out l

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes outlet is already connected to the switch with a red wire and a black wire would like to add a light to that switch

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/3/2017
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Hello… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and straightforward solution to your electrical outlet and switch question. On behalf of Just Answer, I do apologize for the extended wait time you’ve experienced without an expert responding to your question. Now that I am logged on, please allow me a few moments for some research and to confirm my recommendations, which will appear shortly.

In the meantime, if you have any more information you would like to add, ask additional questions, would like to make a comment, or would like to upload helpful photos, please use the reply box below. Thank you!

C​an you provide me a little more insight as to what you are trying to do. I have a pretty good idea in my head, however I would like to verify that is what you want to do so I can give you the correct information.

Single switch on Wall turns on the top half of a wall outlet I would like to use the wall switch to control a closet light not yet wired the wall switch has a red and a black wire connected to it need to know how to wire switch to light

O​k simple enough, thanks for clarifying. Just to make sure you are going to run new wires from the switch that controls half the outlet to also control a new light fixture?

No just new wire to new light from wall switch

D​o you still want the existing switch to control 1/2 the outlet as well?

Controlling outlet not a priority but think red wire is power to switch
There are 4 wires from outlet red,Black,white,and ground

Red wire (if on top) usually is a switch leg meaning it is coming from the switch to the outlet, not from the outlet to the switch.

Red wire on top
Of wall switch

O​k then if comes from the switch. if you would like to keep this as 1/2 hot no problem, or you can simply replace the outlet and have both top and bottom on 24hrs, your choice.

Ok on outlet how do I get the switch to power the new ceiling light?

I​f you are going to pick up the new light fixture electrical power from the wall switch, run 2 properly sized wires from that location, 1 white wire and 1 black wire. The white wire will tie into the other white wires inside the switch box, (this is the neutral wire) Please confirm there are no white wires on the existing switch and there are white wires inside that box, if not we need to run the wires from the outlet, not the switch.

No white wire on switch are tied together with other white wires in switch box only other wire in on the bottom and is black

C​ool we are almost done... Tie in the new white wire to those existing white wires, this will complete the neutral for the new light fixture. The new black wire will tie into the red wire on the switch. This will complete the switch leg wire for the new light fixture. When done you will have that switch controlling both the new light fixture and the top half of the outlet. If this is what you want, please confirm, if not let me know what is missing.

Do you suggest cutting red wire joining black wire from light to the two cut end of red wire

No you should be able to either plug the new black wire into the back of the switch (if it is a back wired type switch) or if you have room in the box it would be best to pigtail the red switch wire and new black wire, and add a 6-8" pigtail wire to both of these 2 wires (you will need to turn the power off and remove the red wire from the switch), once the pigtail is in place simply connect it to the same screw the red wire was on. This will make a cleaner installation and allow the wires to be stored neatly inside the box.

I​ am not fond of doubling up the wires on the screw terminal. It is best to have only 1 wire on the screw terminal. If no back wired feature I recommend replacing the switch to one that does. Your local home improvement center will have them for about around a buck.

Currently red and black wire are connected to the back of the switch the screws are not being used

O​nce all of the wiring make up is done all that is left is to verify we have the correct voltages in the correct locations. With the switch ON the top half of the outlet should have 120v, the bottom half of the outlet should have 120v, and the new white wire and black wire should have 120v.

O​k use the screw on the side where the red wire is, not the current black wire (this is the hot wire)

With the switch in the OFF position the top half of the outlet should be dead, the new wires for the light should be dead, and the bottom of the outlet should have 120v, please confirm all of these and we are done.

Are you saying since the red wire is pushed in the top slot in the back of the wall switch then the black wire to the light is connected to the top screw

yes

Sounds good I believe I was over thinking and trying to make it more difficult than it turned out Thanks a bunch

No worries you did fine.... better to be absolutely correct then to get something wrong and get hurt. If you decide to change that half hot outlet in the future you will need to disconnect the red wire from the switch completely and not use it at all, otherwise you will over voltage it and cause a short and possibly a fire.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know,

Best,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician