Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

TROUBLE WIRING A LEVITON 6683. I HAVE ONE HOT WIRE BLACK/

I AM HAVING TROUBLE...

I AM HAVING TROUBLE WIRING A LEVITON 6683. I HAVE ONE HOT WIRE BLACK/ WHITE /GROUND. I AM TRYING TO WIRE 2 /6683 SWITCHES OFF THIS WIRE TO GO TO DIFFERENT LIGHTS

Contractor's Assistant: How old is the system in question? And have you consulted an electrician yet?

I AM NOT SURE HOW OLD THE SYSTEM IS, IT IS CONTROOLED BY A CIRCUIT BREAKER AND I HAVE NOT CONSULTED A N ELECTRICIAN YET

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I WOULD LIKE TO

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

NOT THAT I CAN THINK OF

10/31/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

How many and what color are the wires in the box?

There are 3 wires, 1 hot wire / black / white/ & ground. Then the other two wires also black / white/ & ground that go to the two separate lights. I am trying to wire two separate dimmer switches for each light to the one hot wire. That is the way it was when I bought the house.
I already sent them my card info

Connect as follows.

1. All white wires together and to the neutral terminations on the switches.
  2. Hot black wire to each switch black wire. Cap unused black from switch.
  3. Each black wire to light to red wire on switch.
my switch has 1 black wire, 2 red wires & 1 green wire

Cap unused red. Only connect to one.

the green wire is the ground and one red goes to black wire to the light

Correct.

thank you, ***** ***** try what you said

Very good, you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
mike there is no white neutral wire on the switch so green goes to ground is that correct and all the white neutral wires should be put together

The online info for the 6683 showed neutrals. The info on wire you gave is for a standard dimmer. No white connection, red capped.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician