Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Which wires go where? In replacing a switch and outlet in

the bathroom I mistakenly didn’t...
Which wires go where? In replacing a switch and outlet in the bathroom I mistakenly didn’t label the wires before I ran down to answer the door now I don’t know where the three main lead wires into the junction box should attached to. I have a light switch that controls the vanity light, and outlet. I have a electrical tester and it shows only one of the three main lead wires having juice. I can send a picture
10/29/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Send the picture.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The Center wire with yellow tape and caps on it is hot
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K
  1. The white wires need to be connected together with a jumper to the silver screw on the receptacle. LINE
  2. The black hot connects to the gold screw. LINE.
  3. Remaining blacks, if lights connect with a jumper to the switch.
  4. A jumper from the gold screw LINE, to the switch.
  5. All grounds together and to the devices.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to clarify, All three white wires should be connected together and attached to the receptacle? Does it matter if it is the top or bottom screw and the black hot wire to the gold receptacle screw?

All connections are on the LINE, not the LOAD. Marked on the back, some on top others on bottom. Look at the back.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is nothing on the back of the outlet indicating load or line.

If it's a GFCI, it has to be marked. Raised plastic letters

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The original outlet was not a GFI but I do have one and yes it shows load and line. I will Proceed accordingly and get back with you within the hour if there is a problem otherwise thank you for your expert help!

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is a picture of what I have so far but also need clarification on what color screw on the switch - gold, black or silver, two black wires should go to and which screw the jumper from the gold screw LINE should go to. Thanks

GFCI looks fine. Jumper to switch looks fine. The switch is a 3 way and should be a single pole.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK got a single pole two screws on one side and just the ground on the other.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should the top or bottom screw On the switch – when is gold one is black,be used for the two Black wires jumped together?

A single pole has 2 gold screws and one green. A switch with a black and 2 gold screws is a 3 way.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the switch I have has two gold screws and one green but my question is does it matter which gold screws are use to connect the two wires that are jammed together to? the other wire jumped from the receptacle I assume would attach to the second screw on the switch.?

Doesn't matter, either one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK that clarifies things better and the bathroom light works however the foyer hanging light – which is controlled by three way switches, is not getting power un
less the bathroom light is turned on now.

Ok, that means one of the 2 black wires connected together goes to that light. Disconnect them from the jumper and one at a time put on the switch to work the vanity light. Now take the one for the foyer light and connect it with the jumper on the switch from the GFCI.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thanks I will try that. Unfortunately I have to run out to a dinner engagement. Can I reconnect with you either later or tomorrow if I run into a problem? You can respond at your leisure.

Very good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Mike,Sorry for the delay, will you be available to message between five and six tonight?

I'll be online.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Mike,
Not certain I understand your direction. When you say one at a time put them on the switch to work the vanity light should they One at a time be connected to the switch in addition to the jumper from the power line from the receptacle? Once I determine which of those two wires operates the vanity light, where should the other black wire go?

You have a jumper to the switch that is the hot wire. The other 2 wires are the vanity and foyer. Only the vanity is switched so you need to move one of the 2 wires to the jumper. Disconnect the 2 wires, touch them individually to see which is the vanity light, put that wire back on the switch, take the jumper off, with another jumper connect it the jumper from the GFCI and the foyer together and put the other end of the jumper back on the switch.

If needed, accept the phone offer and I'll give you the directions verbally.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That did the trick – thanks for your help! Five stars!

Anytime, you're welcome.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician