Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a sauna that is wired with 240 two wire for load (red…

Customer Question
I have a sauna...

I have a sauna that is wired with 240 two wire for load (red and black) and a ground -- the neutral line (white) is not used -- currently it is not on a GFI and I would like to put it on a GFI - I would like help on how do I hook up the GFI?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

For a day.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/29/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 6 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Cinnect the black, red and white to a 2 pole GFCI breaker. The ground connects to either a ground bar or neutral bar.

Thanks, ***** ***** that - as I understand it, the GFI 30 amp two pole has two terminals labelled load, and one labelled neutral. then there is a white pig tail that I connected to the neutral bar in the breaker box. When I energized the circuit, and then turned the sauna on, the gfi trips.

Remove the white wire from the breaker, leave the pigtail connected, test again.

I tried that as well. gfi still trips when sauna turns on.

There must be an.issue with it going to ground. Disconnect the ground wire and test.

Thanks, could you please clarify -- do I disconnect the ground wire from within the breaker box?
ie disconnect the ground wire, that is part of the 4 wire line going to the sauna, from within the breaker box
?

Disconnect at the sauna. Make sure it isn't touching and making a connection. If it trips, disconnect at the panel.

Ok - I disconnected the ground at the sauna that ran with the 240 line. problem still existed. There is also a separate 120 line running running into the sauna electrical box. I then disconnected this ground line. The gfi on the 220 circuit no longer trips when energized.

What is the 120V line for?

I do not know - I am not sure it a 120 volt line - there are low voltage lights that we switched from the same controller as the heating element. the extra romex bundle could be low voltage?

Code doesn't allow non GFCI circuits to be in the same box with GFCI circuits unless the GFCI protection device is in that box.

Mike,The wiring diagram indicates that it is wired as a 3 phase input. please see screen shot of manual of similar model

The sheet shows both single phase and 3 phase connections. You use the one applicable for the service. The single phase circuit being a GFCI protected circuit makes having another circuit in the same box a violation.

Mike, Are you still responding?

I'm here. It takes time for your message to get to me, I read it and type a response, time to get to you. I'll be with you till the end.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician