Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have an older floor lamp with a 5 wire switch. There are 3…

Customer Question
I have an older...

I have an older floor lamp with a 5 wire switch. There are 3 sets of lights: a large top/centre light, 3arms with lights and a light in the base of the lamp.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you talked to a construction professional about the floor?

The lamp used to have the following combinations, 1) just the base light, 2) base plus arm lights, 3) just arm lights.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

What I would like to have is: 1) just base, 2) just arms 3) just top/centre light 4)all 3 sets of lights and 5) all off

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes, I am trying to do the work myself. So far I have either all on or all off

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
10/28/2017
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 9 months ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

The only way to do this is you need a reliable voltage tester in order to determine how you want to order of lights and which lights to turn on. The best way is to locate the common wire on the switch 1st. This is the only wire that will have 24hr power in every positon. Once identified that will be where the power comes from. Then find which different wire has power when you move the switch to the 1st position. Identify that wire and figure out which lights you want to come on (base, arm, or top), once identified, move to the next position and repeat the process until all the wires control the lights in the order you want. Without a voltage tester you are just guessing and hoping it is correct.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as providing a quick and simple solution to your specific question. I’m sorry that your question has gone on for so long now without an expert responding to it, however it has recently appeared on my available list.

If you have any additional information you would like to add, you can use the reply box below for additional questions, comments, or would like to upload helpful photos.

I would also like to mention that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, however all my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

After I have provided my response and I have selected the answer box, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating before leaving the site, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations. If you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it will be much better for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution.

However, if I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will allow other experts a chance to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question if you believe it has relevance on this issue.

Thank you for using Just Answer!

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question? If this information was helpful you can close out this question simply by completing the rating questionnaire when prompted.

If you are still having problems that my response and recommendations were unable to resolve, just let me know and I will continue looking for another possible solution, however I do ask that you please do not complete the rating until I have had a chance to do some further research.

Thanks,

Dave