Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We are changing a light switch of a 3 way switch. We have…

Customer Question
We are changing a...

We are changing a light switch of a 3 way switch. We have done others in the house and they all had one red one black one white. However this one has one red and three black. Before we changed the switch the light worked.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

A few hours

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/25/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 9 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Thanks, ***** ***** other switch that is suppose to turn on the light too doesn’t work but it also worked before we changed both switches. We went from traditional switches to rocket switches

The number and the collors suggest the following.

1. Red and black from the same cable attach each to a gold screw.
  2. The 2 remaining blacks connect together with a jumper to the black screw. The reason is only one wire under a screw and the push backs connections are never to be used.
Not sure how to tell which two are connected to a jumper

The 2 blacks that are not in the cable with the red.

The other switch connects the same. Red and black to gold screws and the other wire to the black.

Didn’t work and the other switch connecting to the light also doesn’t work... could it be the light fixture its self?

Your question was on the wires on the switches. If you have them connected as directed and the light doesn't work, it is either the light or the breaker is off

The breaker isn’t off we turned it off to work on the light and turned it on to test it. All other breakers are set to on

Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?