Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

We just moved and needed to change our 3 prong cord to a 4

prong. We did that and...
We just moved and needed to change our 3 prong cord to a 4 prong. We did that and nothing happened. My husband things he shorted something out because at one point the light on the cord was lost but now nothing. Went and got a new cord and still nothing. We tried the breaker box and all that. Is it possible to short out the dryer when doing this??
10/22/2017
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Shown in the diagrams below is a 4 prong dryer connection. Is this how you have the cord and wall receptacle terminated?

2) Do you have a multimeter to confirm voltages at the wall receptacle and at the cord termination on the rear of the dryer?

780087fb-8930-4cca-acd7-...jpg780087f...jpgd032a7cf-c49f-47cc-823e-...jpgd032a7c...jpg4e51780f-4999-4704-93ab-...jpg4e51780...jpg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is how it’s hooked up now but before that we had the ground wired with one of the positive or negatives so we are not sure if we shorted out the dryer?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We don’t have a meter

Thanks for the replies.

1) Your circuit should be a 4 wire circuit comprised of 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground wire. The ground wire will terminate to the green ground screw on the wall receptacle. The cord ground wire will terminate to a green ground screw on the dryer frame. On a 4 wire dryer circuit, the ground wire never terminates to any other wires.....ie...... only terminates to a green ground screw.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok but is it possible we shorted out the dryer by doing it wrong the first time?

Yes, that is possible.

1) I recommend that you obtain either a multimeter or a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester ( a contact type). With the dryer in the OFF position, measure for a combination of 120 and 240 volts at the terminal block of dryer where the cord is terminated at. You need to confirm that you have the correct voltage at the dryer cord terminal screws. If correct voltages when the dryer is in the OFF position, then an internal problem with the dryer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does terminal mean?

1) The terminal strip (3 screws...ie..... hot to the left, neutral in the middle and the 2nd hot to the right) ) located on the back of the dryer where the cord wires are connected at.

1) The bedroom breaker is an AFCI breaker. Is this the only circuit that is not working besides the dryer?

2) Sounds like you may have a loose neutral wire either at the service or inside the meter socket or at the main panel.

3) What is half lights? 50% of the home is without power or other?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Yes we just bought a new house and had the dryer issue then out of no where the master bedroom and bath lost power. We got the breaker to flip back on but still no luck with the drywe

OK, the AFCI breaker just tripped. So good that the bedroom and bath are back with power.

1) You need a meter or a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester to confirm voltage directly at the dryer cord terminal block.

2) Your dryer is is not tied into the bedroom or bathroom, it resides on a separate 30 amp double pole breaker.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great weekend............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor