Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

10/21/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, I can help you

Are you trying to switch 2 receptacles on the left and 1 on the right?

were you able to view my diagram. Trying to put in receptacle so that I have under cabinet lighting. can't figure out how to wire it up so it works.

What do you mean when you write "3-way" on the connecting line between devices?

Yes

its a 3 way wire.
with 3 way switch

ok, so red, black, white with bare ground?

ok tell me what you want to happen with this circuit

that would be great.

What would be great?

sorry I thought you asked if I wanted you to call me.

oh that must have been the automated offer

I can call if you like

I have two switches and 4 receptacles that I would like to power between the two switches
the diagram shows how the set up looks
from left to right it goes, receptacle, switch, receptacle (power coming in), switch, receptacle, receptacle

ok, so do you want all the receptacles switched by those two switches?

oh boy. Do you have the ability to add wire between devices?

what do you mean by devices?

switches and receptacles

are you still with me?

my computer shut down

ok. so do you have the ability to add wire between the device?

I don't. Sheet rock is up and tape and textures

Unfortunately there's no way to switch all those receptacles with the two switches using the existing wire, if I understand what you are wanting to do correctly

right now we have the middle receptacle with the power coming in conected to the switches. I can turn that middle receptacle on and off with the switches. all works great however I don't know how to do the wiring of the receptacle on the other side of the switch.

There is no way to get power to those outside receptacles. You physically need one more wire between the power receptacle and the two switches

I have an extra wire because I ran all three way wiring to the receptacles as well.

actually 2 more between them. You would need another 12/2 romex from the power receptacle to the two switches

Ok if you could do a diagram I might be able to get it to work. I could potentially feed up the wire through the wall to the receptacle.
I have tried googling my scenario. I just need a diagram connecting my wires so I know what I need to do.

ok, I will submit an offer for a drawing

Would you be willing to pay $24?

yep

ok and what is your deadline to receive it?

I'm working on it right now. I have someone coming out to look at it otherwise.

ok, it's not letting me submit the offer. I tell you what if you give me a 5 star rating on this one and then on that other question that you first opened I will call that accepted and start on it now

does that work for you? If so just give me the ratings on the two questions first so I know

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
that works!

ok, do you see the first one that you opened?

I did it on both.

ok, I'm already working on it

at the top where the power comes in is that white wire a four way junction wire?

yes

Sam I
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician