Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have purchased a duplex outlet that allows the top and…

I have purchased a...

I have purchased a duplex outlet that allows the top and bottom outlets to be separate.2 hot wire screws 2 neutral screws and an common ground.It

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

They are new

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I t also has 2 grounds one for top and bottom and the ability to disable the

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/21/2017
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience: 31 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Please provide details. What is your question?

I have a duplex outlet tha let’s you run dedicated hot and neutral by removing a jumper and attaching separate hot and neutral wire for top and bottom.Can I use a common ground and still stay dedicated.I t also allows the ability to eliminate one of the grounds. Also if I use this with both circuits attached to the same ground will the ground wire need to be rwice the size as the feed wires.

Thanks for the replies.

1) On a split wired receptacle, only 1 equipment ground is required. Terminate it to the receptacle green ground screw.

Make up a pigtail for the 2 grounds and terminate the pigtail to the green ground screw. If using a metal box, the grounds also need to terminate to a green ground screw inside the metal box.

2) No need to increase the equipment grounding conductor.

This outlet has a top and bottom ground that are joined by a metal bar does this change anything?

1) A duplex receptacle only has 1 common ground via the green ground screw and the yoke plate. Nothing changes.

Thank you

No problem, glad to assist.

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.................Kevin:

Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor

Thank you for the positive service rating............much appreciated!

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Take care and have a great weekend............Thanks again............Kevin:)

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor