Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a legrand adorne outlet I took out the old outlet…

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a legrand adorne outlet I took out the old outlet which had a red and black both on hot and a white on white. I put the red and black on hot - first I put the two hot wires in opposite sides for the adorne switch and then I did the same side - both times it tripped. I put the white ok white for both tries. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Help is appreciated.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I can send pictures if this app lets me

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have installed many of your switches but I have forgot some.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I just started this tonight

10/20/2017
Sam I
Sam I, Electrician

Hello, do you know the model of the new switch and do you happen to have pictures of the wiring?

Is that helpful?

Let me look them over and see

Looks like it is wired up correctly. What type of breaker do you have? Does it have a a yellow or blue test button on it?

Just tried he breaker again and huge pop

oh ok. Is it the two-pole 15 that is off?

ok, that's the problem. You have a 220 branch circuit and you are shorting it's wires together in the outlet. You would need to put either the red or black wire on the other brass terminal directly across from the other one and then break off the connecting tab.

Looks good!

Sam I
Sam I, Electrician
Fixed. Well done.

Thanks. Glad to help. Please don't forget to give me a rating before logging off so I can get credit for answering with Just Answer