Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Thoughr I had a craked or leaking battery removed it and

Customer Question
chacked bottom and sides and...
thoughr I had a craked or leaking battery removed it and chacked bottom and sides and was in excellent condition battery is 2 years old. Now when iI put on charger it goes to 15 amps and clicks off once and back on again and in 2 minutes circuit braker on charger flips off. I was told the heavy morning dew could have ran down battery making small stain on driveway
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: since yesterday
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: took battery out myself and reinstalled all batteries reading 7.8 on multimeter
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: batteries 2 years old and have been charging fine till I removed one always charge to 8.4 on meter all about the same reading after charge
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
10/17/2017
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 1 month ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

I​ tend to think you can determine which is faulty the battery or the charger simply by trying a different charger. If the breaker trips, bad battery, if not problem with the charger. You didn't mention the type of battery, so I am assuming it is a sealed type meaning you can't add water. If so sealed type when they go bad are not repairable and need to be replaced. It is also possible that the battery has developed a memory due to prolonged charging periods. You might consider talking to a local battery supplier and see if they have any spec sheets with do's and don'ts. Might save you from repeating the same thing if you have to replace the battery.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. Please understand that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, however all my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, therefore I will kindly ask that while your question is open to check your email as I may send you updates or I may need additional information to help answer your question, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question if you believe it has relevance on this issue.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of these requests.

If you have any additional information you would like to add, just let me know and I will see if I can locate some more solutions to this question.

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician