Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Sometimes i loose power in some outlets and it comes back on

in my house and in...
Sometimes i loose power in some outlets and it comes back on in my house and in my basement i loose lights and outlets at the same time. I have a breaker box in my basement as well as in the house. The outlets/lights in the basement are not connected to the breaker box in the house. We have done some remodeling and changed outlets/light switches recently in the kitchen. We also just replaced the stove and last night when the outlets went out, i turned on the stove and the outlets came back on.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2017
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
thanks

You need to open the panels and inspect the connections on the main breaker or main lugs. You are having a loss due to a loose connection. Look for signs of heating discoloration or corrosion due to mostiure infiltration.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is a problem with the panels, not the wires to the outlets?

Having power loss throughout the house says PANEL.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a 200 amp panel box in my garage, it is connected to the 100amp panel box in the basement and the basement panel box is connected to the house. We only loose power to certain outlets/lights not all outlets/lights and the breakers do not trip. I'm assuming it could be the main breaker in the basement or the main breaker in the house, these are the ones i should be checking, correct?

Make a visual check and then test each breaker termination with a 2 wire voltage tester when the problem happens. A breaker will not be tripped and have no voltage if the problem is ahead of it. If the issue is only on one circuit, test as follows. Plug in a vacuum cleaner into an affected outlet and the go to all outlets in the area and with a plug wiggle them side to side. In most cases the movement will make the bad connection and the vacuum will be an audible alert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the Breaker termination?

Where the wire is connected to it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked the wires and all were tight. I turned off the breaker in the basement that goes to the lights and it also shut off my outlets upstairs. When I went to turn the breaker back on the lights didn't come back on, however, my husband went upstairs and turned the stove on and the outlets upstairs started working again.

You need to test for vtage on all termination in the house panel with the 2 pole breakers off, not including the main breaker.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
click the two pole breakers off and keep the other breakers on and check them for voltage. Just want to make sure I'm understanding you.

Correct.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician