Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Can I join a 240 volt outlet to 2, 30 watt globes in lamp

Customer Question
can I join a 240...
can I join a 240 volt outlet to 2, 30 watt globes in lamp using a small powertech 7.5 A CABLE wh3057
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just started
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if its easy and safe
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the cable does not have earth
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Electrical
10/17/2017
Electrician: David Bowden, Electrician replied 1 month ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician

T​here are many countries that use 220v as there source of power and many do not have grounding features. In fact many of our everyday appliances like cell phones, computers, cameras, coffee pots, hair dryers, etc are made with multiple voltage ranges. If you look at a cell phone charger or a laptop power cord it will be dual voltage rated, and not have a grounding feature. The thing to keep in mind is whether or not the lamps are rated to accept 220v and your Powertech cable can handle the resistance the lamps will produce. If not I would not plug it in as it may get overloaded and short out. If you have any doubts I would look into getting an adapter or converter that is rated. The WH3057 wire is 18gauge which is common for small lamp fixtures. If you decide to use this wire, I would periodically check it to see if it is getting warm or hot. If so I would unplug it right away and consider using a larger diameter wire like 16gauge.

Hello… Thank you for using Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today as well as trying to find a quick and simple solution to your specific question. Please understand that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, however all my responses are designed to be helpful, insightful, and any guidance or suggestions are based from the information that you have provided on your post above, with the intent of trying to save you time, money, and headaches.

I have found in many cases it has always been better if we can establish an effective way of communicating, since either of us may have some additional information or questions that may be necessary in resolving the problem you are experiencing, therefore I will kindly ask that while your question is open to check your email as I may send you updates or I may need additional information to help answer your question, also uploading clear photos will greatly help us both.

After I have completed my research and provided my response to your question, all I ask in return is that you quickly and favorably complete the 5 Star Rating when it appears, so I may receive full credit for my answer, advice, and recommendations.

However, if you feel I have not been very helpful or the answer I provided was not what you were expecting, then please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POORLY (1 or 2 stars), it is best for both of us if you just ask me again to continue looking for more information or another possible solution. If I am unable to provide a better response, I can OPT OUT of your question, which will open it up for another expert that might be able to provide more assistance on this issue. Keep in mind that once I have been rated, it does not end our conversation. You can always come back later and ask me a follow up question if you believe it has relevance on this issue.

Please note that there is only do so much I can do from my computer and I may not be able to help you resolve or fix this problem, especially if it becomes apparent that a qualified service provider should be contacted to perform additional testing, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and has the required tools to make the necessary repairs. I appreciate your understanding and cooperation of these requests.

If you have any additional information you would like to add, just let me know and I will see if I can locate some more solutions to this question.

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Electrician