Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We had a Chandelier that was changed to a ceiling fan, and…

Customer Question
We had a Chandelier that...
We had a Chandelier that was changed to a ceiling fan, and two older sconces that were updated to newer ones. The problem is that one of the sconces is coming on when the breaker is turned on, and won't shut off even when all switches are off. I'm pretty sure it was working ok when the work was first done, but now It only goes off when the breaker is turned off.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Electrical
10/17/2017
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 months ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician

Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be assisting you. Please stand by while I review your question.

In changing from the dimmer to a switch you misplace the wire to the sconce. If you remove the wires on the switch, check to see which one is the hot, put that on one termination and the others to the second termination that should solve the problem. It worked before you changed the switch.